Monday, April 19, 2010

You don't make friends with salad


Most people I know, focus the creation of a meal around meat as the centrepiece. It's not often you hear about a 'swede a vin' or an 'onion bourginon', but whenever I am really inspired about creating a dish, it is always because I have some new fantastic vegetable or a great bulk buy vegie box from the markets. As a kid I would cook myself carrots, peas and potato with a chop on the side instead of eating Friday night fish'n'chips - I loved vegetables that much!

I found the most bountiful bunch of silverbeet at the markets recently and couldn't wait to get creative in the kitchen with this luscious leafy produce. I started by making a silverbeet lasagna using the lovely green leaves only. The stalks I had cut out of the individual leaves then went into a minestrone soup, which simmered away while I prepped the lasagna. The stalk ends I diced up and used in a stirfry and my husband who abhors silverbeet, thought they were water chestnuts - what a versatile vegetable it was! The best part of all was that this vegetable had taken all the hard work out of planning three nights meals - I can't wait to get to the markets this week to find the next inspirational vegetable!! I'm sure my husband can't wait either, if only every vegetable tasted like potato...

No comments:

Post a Comment