Thursday, May 6, 2010

No means No


I am a big believer in the saying "No means No". However, recently I have been a little disheartened by the abuse of the word, often hearing it bandied about like hugs at a politicians pre-election campaign. The word itself is quite powerful. Just two letters and one syllable, no preamble - only a direct no nonsense message. Or so I thought...

Most toddlers go through the "Why?" stage, which I was fully prepared for being a think on my feet kinda gal. But nothing could have prepared me for the "No" stage! Blatant, defiant and antagonistic; I have heard this word in all its tones and this is usually before morning tea!

It is very frustrating until I started to think about the word in a different light. No longer does "No mean No". In my house, the word "No" is simply punctuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment